This is one that it surprises me that the kids all like so much, but they do. THE MIRACLE OF SAUSAGE, INTERNET.
Sausage Vegetable Pasta
1 small zucchini, sliced
1 small yellow squash, sliced
2 plum tomatoes, sliced
1 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
8 oz. mild Italian sausage (2 links), sliced
8 oz. rigatoni pasta
1 c. fresh pre-diced onions
2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
1 tsp. vegetable seasoning blend*
1 1/2 c specialty pasta sauce
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
*Tiffany and I looked for this at Wal-Mart and Lowe's Foods at the beach and couldn't find it. If you can't find it at your store, just use any kind of seasoning that tastes good on veggies. Google it.**
**This is exactly the kind of advice you get from professional food bloggers.
- Bring water to a boil for pasta.
- Slice zucchini and squash; cut tomatoes into 1-inch pieces. Chop basil.
- Cut sausage into small, bite-size pieces. Wash hands.
- Cook and drain pasta following package instructions.
- Combine zucchini, squash, onions, 1 Tbsp oil, and seasoning. Set aside.
- Preheat large saute pan on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Place remaining 1 Tbsp oil in pan, then add sausage. Cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until no pink remains. Remove sausage from pan.
- Add vegetable mixture to same pan. Cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften and brown.
- Reduce heat to low; stir in tomatoes, pasta, sausage, and pasta sauce, then cover; simmer 1-2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Top with basil and cheese; serve.