Apr 27, 2010

Music as an escape

It seems like things in my life have been really pressure-filled lately. (Do I complain about it too much here? I can't keep track of where the complaining in my head stops and the complaining I do in public starts.)

At any rate, right now the two songs that help me escape from the pressures of the day the best are Miranda Lambert's "The House that Built Me" and Train's "Hey, Soul Sister." When one of those songs comes on the radio, I turn it up loud and sing like I'm in the band. Which -- since they're both new releases -- means that I sing about 12 percent of the lyrics with complete confidence and I outright fake at top volume the remaining 88 percent.

So aside from those two current favorites, my other most recently purchased songs on iTunes are (brace yourselves; it's an eclectic list):

Good is Good - Sheryl Crow
Chances - Five for Fighting
Glitter in the Air - Pink
Can Anybody Hear Me - Meredith Andrews
Father Figure - George Michael
Freedom - George Michael
I Don't Believe You - Pink
Terrified - Katharine McPhee
Hallelujah - The Canadian Tenors
Hero - Christopher Wilde
Smile - Uncle Kracker
The Weary Kind - Ryan Bingham
It's So Hard to Say Goodbye - Boys II Men
Hello - Glee Cast
When I Look at You - Miley Cyrus
American Honey - Lady Antebellum
Hell on the Heart - Eric Church
Unstoppable - Rascal Flatts
Breakeven - The Script
Brooklyn Blurs - The Paper Raincoat
Love Never Fails - Brandon Heath

Don't judge. I know Miley's not for everyone. And it's also not the '80s anymore, but I recently discovered that I didn't have any George Michael on any of my playlists, which I had to remedy.

I think I need to Google "1980s hits" and see what comes up. I feel as though my '80s selection is lacking. But then again, that might not be a bad thing. After all, Rick Astley was a product of the '80s.

What is your favorite song of all time? I might need to add it to my iPod.


Rachel said...

It's not my all time favorite song but it is at the top of my playlist right now- American Daughters by Sarah Buxton. If you see me driving down the road then chances are that I am belting that one out at the top of my lungs. Hope today is less pressure filled.

Sarah T. said...

It's P!nk. I figured this out after a year of wondering why her name came alphabetically before Patty Griffin's in my iTunes.

And yes, I also had to get over the fact that I like someone's music who has an explanation point in her name.

Katherine @ Grass Stains said...

Rachel, I've liked several of Sarah's songs! They play her music a lot here. Thanks for the recommendation!

SET, I noticed. But I think I will have to stick with "Pink," because I just cannot bring myself to use the ! in the middle of a word.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...