Mar 12, 2010

Yesterday, minute by minute

2:06 a.m. - Woke up with an overwhelmingly full bladder. Got out of bed and staggered about three feet to the left, hitting the wall. Over-corrected and bumped shin on bed rail.

2:07 a.m. - Finally made it to the bathroom.

2:09 a.m. - Glanced at clock on way back to bed and realized that it was actually 5:09 a.m., which didn't seem possible because I was entirely too sleepy for it to almost be time to get up.

5:45 a.m. - Alarm sounded for the first time.

5:45:20 a.m. - Grayson nudged me to turn it off because I was totally oblivious.

6:20 a.m. - Alarm sounded for the last time, and I got up -- shockingly -- feeling not as sleepy as I'd felt 70 minutes before.

7:01 a.m. - Nathaniel missed the bus because he didn't have both shoes on yet.

7:07 a.m. - Jake fought me like a wild animal while I got him dressed. His kicking feet pinched my index finger between his heel and the changing table.

7:33 a.m. - Nathaniel and I left for school 10 minutes late because I wasn't anticipating taking him.

7:44 a.m. - Dropped Nathaniel off at school with one minute to spare before the tardy bell rang.

7:47 a.m. - Found out my friend Lisa had the stomach bug during our morning-drive phone call. Felt bad for her.

8:06 a.m. - Arrived at work and parked in the far, far away parking lot. Had the chance to use my cute, cute Vera Bradley umbrella because it was raining cats and dogs.

8:11 a.m. - Started preparing for a 9:00 conference call on the project from h-e-double-hockey-sticks.

11:11 a.m. - Excited because a co-worker invited me to lunch at restaurant I'd never tried before.

12:01 p.m. - Disappointed by sllllllllooooowwwwwww service at restaurant.

12:25 p.m. - Mildly disappointed with quality of food at restaurant.

2:47 p.m. - Received appointment for new meeting at 3:30.

2:48 p.m. - Realized that new meeting would probably make me late leaving work in time to pick Nick up for T-ball practice.

2:48:41 p.m. - Opted not to call Grayson to change pick-up plans, deciding to risk it.

4:42 p.m. - Sat in 3:30 meeting, considered what a bad decision I'd made at 2:48 when I didn't make arrangements for Grayson to pick Nick up from school.

4:51 p.m. - Called Grayson to ask him to pick Nick and Jake up from school and meet me and Nathaniel at ballfield #1 at 5:30 ... or thereabouts.

5:03 p.m. - Left the office.

5:07 p.m. - Cursed my bad luck for not getting out the door at 4:30.

5:31 p.m. - Picked Nathaniel up and rushed him to the car.

5:45 p.m. - Arrived at ballfield #1 before Grayson, Nick and Jake.

5:57 p.m. - They arrived! Changed Nick into his gear and got him on the field.

5:58 p.m. - Grayson, Nathaniel and Jake went home to grab supper and get Nathaniel ready for practice.

6:59 p.m. - Drove Nicholas through McDonald's to get supper on the way to ballfield #2.

7:14 p.m. - Arrived at ballfield #2. Parked in wrong lot.

7:14-7:18 p.m. - Walked a lot longer than necessary, based on my parking error, to get to ballfield #2.

7:19 p.m. - Jake spotted me.

7:19:19 p.m. - Jake cried because I wouldn't hold him yet because my hands were full.

7:21 p.m. - Zeroed in on Nathaniel as he conversed with teammates at home plate. Noticed that he chose to wear his pumpkin shirt in March again.

7:22 p.m. - Held Jake while I snapped pictures. Observed that it seemed like not much was happening, but resolved not to judge.

7:23 p.m. - Watched the boys line up to pantomime hitting and then run like bats outta for first base.

7:24 p.m. - Watched as Nathaniel waited his turn to run. Wondered if he was hot in that jacket. Resigned myself to the fact that all my pictures would be blurry because of the 23-month-old in my arms who kept trying to snatch the camera.

7:26 p.m. - Nathaniel watched the first-base runner to judge when he should run to third.

7:27 p.m. - Nathaniel looked home to see if there was any possibility of a hit so he could run.

7:28 p.m. - Jakey cried and pulled on my pants to try to get me to hold him again. I had a flashback to the lines at Disney.

7:28:44 - Nathaniel waited patiently to run to third.

7:35 p.m. - Nathaniel waited in line for his turn in the batting cage.

7:36 p.m. - Jake and Nick climbed the walls -- literally -- while waiting for Nathaniel to get his turn at bat.

7:38 p.m. - Nathaniel got his first chance since evaluations a few weeks ago to bat against the machine. Instead of being set at the regulation 35 mph, it must have been set to about 12 mph. He connected with the ball about two out of the 15 pitches. We need to practice.

7:39 p.m. - Nick decided to stay with me when Grayson took Jakey home to bed.

7:44 p.m. - Nick found a pole.

7:44:01 p.m. - Nick decided to climb the pole.

7:57 p.m. - Wondered who in their right minds would want to keep first-graders on the ballfield for practice on a weeknight until after 8:00.

8:21 p.m. - Decided people whose kids had already done their homework and eaten supper might be OK with it. Hoped I'd find out that Nathaniel had done his homework and eaten supper already.

8:29 p.m. - Departed ballfield #2 for home with two hungry, grumpy children.

8:34 p.m. - Nathaniel started crying because he realized Nick had gotten McDonald's for supper.

8:34:11 p.m. - Stated for the record that if meltdowns were going to occur over smallish things after late-night practices, Nathaniel wouldn't be going to those practices.

8:49 p.m. - Arrived home to find that Nathaniel still had homework to do.

8:50 p.m. - Left Nathaniel in Grayson's capable hands to complete homework; took Nick up to put on PJs.

9 p.m. - Sorely missed my sweet nightly snuggle time with Jakey as I glanced at his closed bedroom door.

9:31 p.m. - Read Susan's Tweet: Doesn't a practice that goes from 8pm to 10pm seem a LITTLE late for an under 10yr old team? and decided that I don't have it as bad as I thought.

9:55 p.m. - Wondered what on Earth I was going to blog about, and decided on this.

1:01 a.m. - Wished I'd already packed for our trip to Atlanta later today. Decided that the next time I decided to basically live-blog my day in arrears, I'd reconsider.


Sarah T. said...

I need a nap just reading that. I don't know how you do it! You're amazing.

Sewconsult said...

11:09 AM wondering why parents allow their kids to participate in practices that are at bedtime on school night.
11:10 AM Glad I had 2 daughters who participated in free-play in our backyard

Rachel said...

I agree that a nap is now in order. My word!

Grayson said...

Nathaniel had eaten and done his reading homework. The only thing left was the practice spelling test.

Katherine @ Grass Stains said...

Beckie, when we signed up, we had no idea. We thought it would be like soccer with one practice on a weeknight around 6:00 and one Saturday morning game. CLEARLY IT IS SOMETHING ALTOGETHER DIFFERENT.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...